Tuesday, February 8, 2011

There's a Mountain Out There!!

Vienna sits in a geological basin in far eastern Austria, and gray, cloudy skies are common from November through March. Yesterday was an unusually warm and beautiful day with glorious clear blue skies. As I headed for the U-Bahn from the Vienna International Center, I noticed something I had never, ever seen from anywhere in Vienna during the past 4-plus years of living here. Is that a MOUNTAIN???


No...surely I would have noticed a mountain before! Maybe it's like some desert mirage that vanishes as you approach. Walking closer and putting my little camera on full zoom, it appears that there really is a mountain that I suppose is at least sometimes visible from Vienna. Perhaps one has to be in the right place at the right time to see it. I'm guessing it's Schneeberg, the largest mountain near Vienna, and I feel very lucky to have seen it. That's the St. Francis of Assisi Church in the foreground with the Riesenrad ferris wheel to the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment